When we were in Singapore, our friend had made these absolutely delicious date balls as a snack. I asked her to send me the recipe and couldn’t believe how simple it is to make them at home. The recipe is really easy to modify yourself depending on your tastes. I’ve made them quite a few times now and they are a hit! I’ve brought them in to work and the girls love them and have asked for the recipe so I thought I would share with you guys too!
You will need:
- 250 grams of pitted dates (equivalent of 1 cup or 1 packet). I get these from Sainsbury’s/Tesco
- 2 TBSP of peanut butter or almond butter – you can choose what you like. I use Whole Earth smooth, but have used the one with flaxseeds and pumpkin seeds in the past, which adds a bit of texture.
- 2 TBSP Chia Seeds
- 1 TSP of coconut oil
- Desiccated coconut for topping
Optional items: This is where the modifications come in and you can add as little or as much in as you like. You can add protein powder, cacao, almonds, etc. This is what I have personally found to work best and keeps the date balls more firm.
- Put all ingredients in a food processor or blender for a minute or two until mixed well.
- Take spoonfuls of the mixture and roll in to small balls. You can make up to 20 balls with this mixture depending on how small you decide to make them.
- Toss each ball in desiccated coconut to coat
- Place each ball on a cooking sheet with parchment paper or a plate
- Once done, cover the balls with cling film (saran wrap), and pop them in the refrigerator for a few hours or better yet, overnight if you can, to harden.
- Take them out the next day and enjoy!
- These will stay good for up to a week in tupperware in the fridge.
These date balls are delicious and filled with clean ingredients, making them the perfect healthy on-the-go snack. I usually eat one in the morning, or if I find myself hungry throughout the day, I’ll grab one to tide myself over. They’re also great to eat right before the gym for a little burst of energy. If you make them, let me know what you think! xo
*Pin for later: